The Route – The Program
You will discover one of the most amazing places on earth, the world driest coast and desert of the world. We will travel from La Serena to the coast of Atacama, passing through the wonderful landscapes of Coquimbo Green North borders of Coquimbo and the southern part of Atacama desert. We will reach the ancient valley and coast of Huasco to appreciate its centuries-old olive trees agriculture and farming haciendas, before entering the Llanos del Challe National Park. We will explore the hidden archaic coast of the Atacama and its thousand-year-old ravines, beaches, and marine refuges occupied by the indigenous people of the sector. We will explore the beautiful and colorful beaches, bays, coves and coastal mountains of the Atacama, possessing a magical geography and vestiges from Gondwana, Jurassic and prehistoric times, beside the miraculous flora and fauna that subsist in the most arid desert of the world. We will arrive and stay in Bahia Inglesa exploring its amazing attractions around it to then visit the majestic Pan de Azucar National Park preparing our journey crossing the huge Atacama plateau for arriving to the magical town of San Pedro de Atacama.
2-3 to 9 days Itinerary Attractions:
- Departure from La Serena towards north having views of Juan Soldado ravine and the Geological coastal sanctuary of Caleta Hornos.
- Exploration of Quebrada Los Choros to meet its native flora and fauna from the geographical frontiers of Coquimbo Green North Region adn the austral zone of Atacama coast.
- Arrival to Punta de Choros and views of Damas, Choros and Chañaral de Aceituno islands (Optional navigation to Damas-Choros islands or Chañaral de Aceituno island and night in coastal lodge shelter)
- Stop and exploration of the small and picturesque Domeyko mining village and its surrounding attractions.
- Arrival to Vallenar and excursion to Huasco Valley to see the ancient olives trees plantation and farming infrastucture from colonial times.
- Visit and exploration to Llanos del Challe National Park.
- Expedition through ancient archaeological sites of the archaic coast of Atacama from Carrizal Bajo.
- Arrival to the hidden oasis of Totoral Village (optional: night in Totoral).
- Tour through the rustic coastal summer villages of Barranquilla and Puerto Viejo (Optional: Night in Playa La Virgen)
- Stop in Copiapo river mouth and sand bars walk to Chata island.
- Arrival to Bahia Inglesa and tour through Caldera (Optional night in Bahía Inglesa).
- Optional day: Visit the city of Copiapo, the Atacama Museum, Los Loros Valley and La Viñita mining inca village.
- Visit to Sea of dunes and San Jose mine (33 miners Monument)
- Visit to the coastal petroglyphs of Obispito-Las Lisas.
- Tour through Chañaral y visit to Pan de Azúcar National Park (optional night in the park)
- Incursion to the big Atacama desert plateau
- Visit to Calama and arrival to San Pedro de Atacama (Recommended tours: Valle de la Luna, Piedras Rojas, Lagunas Altiplánicas, Geisers del Tatio or Quitor-Catarpe incas fortresses)
- End of the tailor made program from 2-3 to 9 days.