Information of the Astronomical Center
We will travel through the Inca Huacas of Coquimbo and the Vilumanque condor serpent until we reach the mythical Rock and follow the Pilgrim’s Route to ascend to the revered town and mining site of Andacollo, where the appearance of the oldest virgin in South America is celebrated (Heritage of the UNESCO Humanity) and the Collowara Observatory is located at 1300 meters above sea level. Its surprising and unique location facing Tololo, Geminis and Rubin on massive mountain ranges rich in gold, copper and precious stones such as turquoise, jasper and andacollite demonstrates the enormous value of this site in antiquity and for being currently one of the best sites and skies in the Coquimbo Region for astronomical observation. Highly recognized by the different indigenous cultures, it came to be dominated by the European conquerors and clergy who spread the miraculous appearance of a virgin among the natives of the place. Highly sought after by pirates, its fame crossed borders and made Andacollo its main quest to possess in abundance the rarest element in the Universe, gold, the origin of which you can discover when visiting the Collowara Observatory.
- Departure from La Serena towards Andacollo through the old agricultural area and farmhouses of Pan de Azúcar.
- Arrival in Andacollo and stop at the main square, church, Basilica and religious mining bazaars (optional gold mine).
- Arrival at Collowara Observatory, tour of the facilities and audiovisual talk about astronomical mining heritage.
- Visit to the main dome and observation of stellar objects using a 16” electronic telescope.
- Second stage of open sky observation under the stars with 12” manual telescopes and lasers.
- Return to La Serena.
Queries and Reservations
+56990128608 – firstname.lastname@example.org